Monday, February 15, 2010

Get over your crap

There are times in my life when I think back to the person I used to be and it depresses me. I have made some bad decisions in the course of my life, and I am not just talking about small ones either. These are bad mistakes. Until recently a couple of my past sins have really haunted me. I would be fine for a while and everything would be going great and then all of a sudden I would be reminded of what I had done and it would cause me to regress.
It's as if Satan was saying, "Not so fast, Tom……remember when you……God must be really disappointed in you……He could never use you for anything with that in your past".
Recently I read this: Philippians 3:13
"……but one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead."
That is the Apostle Paul speaking. The former Christian killer. Do you think he had some regrets?
You bet he did.
So how did Paul manage to become one of the greatest Christians of all time with all of that baggage?
He forgot about his past. Look at the verse again…."forgetting what is behind".
Paul is saying that the junk from his past is over, he is not looking back. When Jesus died on the cross, he allowed Paul and me and you to bring all of our past junk and lay it down at the foot of the cross…….and be forgiven for it.
Satan is the father of lies. He would have us believe that our past has crippled us, and left us as damaged unusable goods.
Jesus would tell you however, you are a new creature in Him.
Don't let the sins of your past keep you from being the person Jesus wants you to be.
Get over your crap.
Jesus has.