Friday, April 8, 2011

7 Deadly sins (Pride)

Proverbs 16:18 - "Pride goes before destruction.."

Most people have a particular sin that continually trips them up.

For me, it's pride.

That's even tough for me to type. I don't get to watch much TV usually, but the other night I got to catch a show called "Bully Beatdown". It is basically a show about people who get bullied all the time and they bring the bully to this show to give them a taste of their own medicine. The Bully agrees to enter this cage with a professional MMA fighter in the hopes that they can survive the few rounds and win some money.

In the episode I watched, the fight was extremely one sided. The bully was just getting what we used to call back in the day, a "First class butt whoopin".

The professional fighter was just toying with the bully and basically kept closing the bully's windpipe, forcing the bully to "tap out" repeatedly. The host of the show kept asking the bully, "Do you want to quit now? Do you want to give up?", and the bully just kept coming back for more punishment.

He absolutely refused to just quit even though it was extremely apparent that he had no chance. In the second round the referee called the fight over.

Pride comes before the fall.

Pride is what got Satan thrown from the luxury of Heaven.
In my opinion, it is the most dangerous sin there is.

God says to humble yourself. Pride says, "God, get outta my face".

At least in my case, pride is attractive and something I tend to run towards because it feels good to get the credit and glory and recognition for something. That's the truth.

Maybe you struggle with pride like me. The following verse should make your knees buckle: Matthew 23:12 - But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

I don't know about you, but I do a fine job of humiliating myself, I really don't need God's help.

So it is my goal to be completely pride free.

You might be saying to yourself, "That is impossible".
But I would remind you as I remind myself what Paul said in Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Regardless of your struggle I hope this encourages you, that you too, can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.