Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Swear words

So I am out mowing the lawn this last weekend minding my own business, when I passed by one of our pine trees a little too closely. As I came around the tree and started heading across the yard I felt a sharp stinging sensation in the back of my leg. I must admit that my very first thought was that the neighbor kid had just shot me with a blowgun (not sure why…he's a good kid and I don't think he even owns a blowgun), but very soon after the initial sting came an onslaught of others……it was then that I realized I had run into a hornets nest. I need to preface what I am about to tell you next by saying that I don't swear. I remember my wife scaring the living daylights out of me in the middle of the night one time as I was dead asleep, and the toughest language I could come up with as I sprung from the bed was "Jimmeny Christmas". I don't even know what that means. So as I am under siege from these hornets that are frothing at the mouth, I came to the understanding that being scared may not be enough for me to swear, but apparently the right mixture of fear and acute pin pricking stingers entering my body at a rate of speed that I cannot fully explain to you, is enough. I am not proud of this but the story must be told. As I was running for my life, swinging my arms and swatting at my legs in a blind fury (and my wife would add, screaming like a little schoolgirl), it happened. I could feel the words forming in slow motion and gathered steam on the way out. It started with just a minor swear word (like the ones that they can get away with on prime time television), but it wasn't enough. It's true….the big daddy of 'em all uncontrollably flew out as if I had been practicing it for months. I had dropped the F-bomb.
As I was cornering the house, I could see my neighbors out of my peripheral vision, standing on their deck with a look on their face like they just saw a yeti. Obviously they were in utter shock and horror at what they heard come out of my skull cave. That’s when Romans 12:3 came to mind where Paul says "...do not think of yourself more highly than you ought...". From here on out those neighbors will always think of me as the guy who dropped the F-bomb (and screamed like a little school girl), and I will always think of the event and remember that I shouldn't think too highly of myself, as I am only 1 hornets nest away from another humility check.