Friday, January 22, 2010

And I hope you're amazed


Last year I started this thing with my sons. After they are tucked in and we have said prayers, we have "Man talk".
No girls allowed.
This is their time to ask any question they want to, and get my undivided attention and honest response. Since starting this, we have covered a very broad range of questions that I cannot betray their trust and share here, but believe me….we have covered just about EVERYTHING!
What is interesting to me is that more recently, all of their questions have to do with God. Now…...I realize that this is going to sound ridiculous, but I have been intimidated by their questions lately. It's the truth. I have actually not done "Man talk" with them in probably 2 months and I am pretty sure that's why.
(I just called my son and asked permission to share some of his more recent questions that he has asked and he said ok.)
He asks stuff like:
What does God look like?
How do I know he is real?
What does heaven look like?
How does God make the Earth just hang there and not fall?
I can deal with adult questions all day long. They don't scare me. Adults ask questions that they already know the answer to. They just want another adult to confirm their answer so that their ego can be inflated. That's pride. We hide behind our adult questions and our adult answers don't we? There is no imagination in adult questions. Perhaps that is why my kid's questions are so tough. They still have ownership of their imagination.
In Matthew 18, the disciples are trying to figure out who among them will hold the highest postition in Heaven. Jesus then takes advantage of the opportunity to teach. He pulls a child into Himself and says something like, "unless you become like a little child, you will not enter the Kingdom".
So when Jesus says that we need to become as the child, what is He saying?
In what way do I need to become like my son?
Jesus is telling us to humble ourselves for sure, but I also think He is saying……get back in touch with your pure wonder and amazement of God. Find your imagination again.
My kids are amazed by the awesomeness of God. Their questions reveal that don't they? My questions reveal my pride and my attempts to inflate myself to appear bigger and more important than I am.
Tonight, we will have "Man talk" for the first time in a while, but this time I am going to try and recall my imagination. I am going to prepare my mind and soul to be in awe of our awesome Creator as I listen to the questions spill out of my boys….and this time I will not pretend to know the answers. I may not even answer them. We might just have a great time sitting and talking in wonder together.
I hope you take time tonight to just think about God……and I hope you're amazed.