Friday, January 29, 2010

Just be still


This post is going to jump around a bit. Hang in there with me, we'll pull it all together.

One of my favorite all-time verses in the Bible is Psalm 46:10. "Be still and know that I am God"

I used to worry quite a bit. When I was younger, I would worry about tests in school and what I was going to do after I graduated high school. As I got older I would still worry but just about new things. I would worry about completing boot camp, graduating college, finding a wife, raising children, where my next sale is coming from, money for retirement and so on and so on and so on.

I don't worry so much anymore.

The greatest football game I have ever seen in my life was the National Championship game between the Ohio State Buckeyes and the Miami Hurricanes in 2002. Both teams came into the game with an undefeated record. Regulation time ended in a tie and the game went into multiple overtimes before Ohio Sate walked away with the victory and the National Championship. It was a roller coaster of emotion as there were a couple of controversial calls by the referee that left everyone watching the game holding their breath to find out what was going to happen. I literally got sick to my stomach on the last drive by the Hurricanes as they tried to tie the game up again. I couldn't take the drama.

Not too long ago ESPN Classic aired that game and I just so happened to catch the last part of it. This time however, I didn't get an upset stomach. As a matter of fact, I wasn't anxious at all. What was the difference? Why in 2002 was my stomach in knots and now I wasn't uptight in the least?

The difference lies in what I know now.
I know that the game does not finish in regulation. I know there will be several overtimes. I know what the score is going to be, and I know the Buckeyes ended up being the victors.

Why don't I worry like I used to?
The difference lies in what I know now.
Time and time again, God has come through for me in ways that make it quite obvious that I am not in control. He is.
Time and time again I read scriptures that all tell me to trust in Jesus. They tell me that if I trust in Him, that He will supply all of my needs, and time and time again He has.
His eye is on the sparrow. His eye is on you and I also.

God tells me: "Be still and know that I am God".
I used to worry quite a bit. I don't worry so much anymore.
His track record with me speaks for itself. There is no longer a need to worry because I already know how it ends.
It ends with God taking care of everything………...when I let Him.

Give Him something today that is worrying you and then……..just be still
And know that He is God.