Friday, March 19, 2010

Where are your hands?


Have you ever known someone that every time they came around, all they did was ask you for stuff? They ask for money, they ask for help, they ask for your time, all the while never making a deposit in the relationship?
It's draining isn't it?
I call 'em takers. Take, take, take. You're lucky if you even get a thank you when it's all said and done.
You probably have a mental picture of that person in your head right now.
We all know somebody like that.

Now, what if I told you that you and I are that person?
You are the taker. I am the taker.

Not with any of our friends, but with God.

Some of us take credit that belongs to Him.
Some of us take glory that belongs to Him.
Some of us take His money by not giving Him our full tithe and more.
Some of us take His time by praying to get us out of something that we behaved ourselves into.
We are takers.
And we wonder where He is when we are going through a rough patch.

He's hiding!!! (ok, not really but you get the point)

He sees us coming from miles away with our hands out.
He hears us coming from miles away shouting gimme, gimme.

Do you know who He loves helping out of rough patches?
Those who thank Him and praise Him and love Him
Those who don’t treat Him like a 911 operator.

The only time we think of the 911 operator is when we are in big trouble. Do you think about them at any other time? Don't even try it...... We only call 'em when we need 'em.

I think all too often we treat God the same way. We only call Him when we need Him.
Take, take, take.

I'm guilty of it.
God forgive me for being a taker.
I don't want you to constantly see me with my hands out….
I want you to see me more often with my hands raised up.
Where are your hands?