Thursday, March 25, 2010

The King and Karl


I saw an advertisement for the new 3D television that is out. This thing shows every show in 3D if you want to watch it that way. Every channel. Think about it.........ESPN in 3 freakin' D.
I was drooling.
We all want the next best thing if we are honest. I remember when the iPhone came out and the next day my neighbor came by to show me his new toy. My wife said my eyes lit up like the 4th of July sky. That was yesterday though. Now the iPad is out. Thing just keep getting cooler, and the truth is that things will always continue to get cooler and we will continue to be amazed..... until tomorrow.
There is no permanent satisfaction in the things of this world. Just temporary happiness.
In Ecclesiastes, King Solomon is basically talking about the same thing. He was the wisest man in the history of history according to the Bible. He also had enough money to buy the planet.
The Bible says that "The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart".
He had it all.
In Ecclesiastes, King Solomon basically is saying that with all of his wealth and with the ability he had to buy whatever he wanted, that it is a sham. The wisest man to ever live is telling you and I that the 3D television is meaningless. That our desire for the brand new is a waste. That our desire to keep up with our neighbors is pointless.
You might be reading this and saying to yourself that his guy Solomon is out of touch.
Things have changed since those days.
But have they really?
I read an article recently about a man named Karl Rabeder. He is a 47 year old millionaire.
He has everything you could want. Luxury cars and multiple homes.
I am sure he has an iPhone too.
The picture is his villa in the Australian Alps. Nice view huh?
It could be yours now.
He is raffling it off and selling all of his possessions and giving away every dime of it to a charity he created to help needy people in Central and South America.
He is quoted as saying:
"My idea is to have nothing left."
"Money is counterproductive- it prevents happiness to come"
"More and more I heard the words: 'Stop what you are doing now- all this luxury and consumerism- and start your real life' "
"I had the feeling I was working as a slave for things that I did not wish for or need. I have the feeling that there are a lot of people doing the same thing."

And I drooled at the 3D television ad.

I don't know if he is right about a lot of people doing the same thing, but he pegged at least one person correctly.

By the way, Karl is moving into a small wooden hut in the mountains when the sale is complete. At this point he has no plans to add a 3D television.

You might think Karl to be a little extreme, but if I believe the Bible to be true, and I do, and Solomon was the wisest man ever.......
Karl is a wise man.

God, help me to trust the wisdom of King Solomon, and help me to be more like Karl Rabeder.