Friday, August 7, 2009

Finding joy


Our family was out at the park a couple of weeks ago, and Kirsten and I were doing our best to keep our eyes on all 3 kids as they played on the jungle gym. By the way…..it's nearly impossible. About 20 minutes into playing, our daughter, who just turned 2, had climbed up the metal steps to a platform where a slide was. Naturally, I went over to the slide so I could catch her as she came down. I was excited for her to slide down, knowing how she was going to enjoy it, but that’s when it happened. I saw in her eyes that she started to doubt that it was going to be fun. She began to abort her mission, and she started walking slowly backwards.
Two things happened in that moment.

1.) I was disappointed because I knew that if she came to me down the slide, she would have had so much fun that she would have wanted to do it over and over again.
2.) I was aware of the danger behind her (the end of the metal platform) because I could see more than she could from my vantage point.
My daughter fell face first down the metal steps and ended up with a really nice bruise.

The same holds true for us in our lives. Whenever we go the opposite way God wants us to, someone always gets bruised. The Lord knows what is best for you. People tend to think that if they choose to follow Jesus that He will just steal their joy, and nothing could be further from the truth. He is aware of the dangers in this world that surround us. He has a much better vantage point then we do, and He is calling us to a life of joy. Not every day will be a happy day when you run to Him, but everyday can be one of pure joy in just knowing that on the other side of this life, lies an eternity with our Creator. God does not want to steal your joy, He wants to give it to you.
Don't you want to go down the slide?