Thursday, August 13, 2009

Withered hands

Matthew 12:13
Then he said to the man, “Hold out your hand.” So the man held out his hand, and it was restored, just like the other one!

3 really cool things that I learned today as I read the verse above:

1.) Jesus talks to us
Back in Jesus' day, people with deformities were shunned. They were thought to be deformed because of something they had done or perhaps something that their parents had done to offend God. People would often switch to the other side of the road if they saw someone who had a noticeable deformity heading their way.
Not Jesus.
He stopped. He got close to this man. Close enough to touch.
No matter how messed up you are. No matter what is going on in your life. If you feel cold, alone, rejected by society, please hear this……. Nothing, nothing, nothing can separate you from the love of Jesus.
He wants to talk with you.

2.) He requires action on our part ("stretch forth thy hand")
I love that Jesus tells this man to hold his hand out. Here is the creator of the universe, who could heal this man's hand without touching it or even seeing it, yet he asks the man to perform an action.
Once we come into contact with Jesus, and we have decided that we are going to give Him the reigns of our life and ask Him to lead us, we must follow that with action. He requires action from us. It is unacceptable to proclaim that he is the leader of our lives while we sit on our hands and watch other people do all the work. If we have truly come into contact with Jesus and decided to follow Him, inaction is not an option. We must be "do-ers" of the Word and not just "hear-ers".

3.) Obedience equals restoration
And this is my favorite part of the verse. The man listened, put his hand out there and Jesus heals it. I love this parts because I know that if I have enough faith to just be obedient to Him, then He can use me for some amazing things. If I listen to Him when I hear Him talking to me, I can hear Him telling me to stretch forth my hand. I can give Him all of the junk in my life and by doing so, I can be restored.

We are withered hands.

Will you listen to Him? He wants to talk with you. He wants a relationship with you. Are you willing to trust Him and throw yourself at His feet. I can promise you that if you are willing to do that, He can then do what He so desperately wants to do…….He will make you new.