Thursday, October 15, 2009

Helpless


So, all three of our kids have the H1N1 virus. Nice.
Our oldest child has it the worst by far. Last night we gave him some medicine to help ease the high fever and numerous other symptoms and it ended up causing hallucinations. He seriously thought his fingers were tools. So his doses are pretty much over. It is hard to see your child go through something like that (let alone all three), and know that there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it. The virus must run it's course and with all of the confirmed children deaths linked to the H1N1, it is a bit unnerving. We humans love to be in control of things don't we? I am not a big fan of flying because I feel like I have more control of my own life in my car. Even something as small as holding the remote control to the TV gives most men pleasure because no channel will be changed unless we say so! The feeling of being helpless in any situation is just not in our human make-up.
I believe that is why some people have a difficult time trusting their lives to Jesus.
We read in the Bible where is Jesus telling someone to sell all of their possessions and follow Him. Even our remote control? Talk about feeling helpless. As my wife and I sat there last night, watching our child hallucinate and recalling the words of the pediatrician when she said that there is nothing else she could do and that we would just have to let the virus run it's course, I knew I was completely and utterly helpless. Nothing I did at that point was going to change the state of my child's health. But here is where the awesome part comes into play. Knowing that I was helpless, the only thing I could do at that time was pray. So I did. My helplessness drove me into communication with God.
Maybe you are at a point in your life where you are feeling helpless. You might feel like you are slowly losing control over some aspect of your life. May I suggest that if you have found that you have run out of options and do not know what step to take next, that you try communicating with the one that created you. The Bible says that He will never leave you of forsake you. Just as I was there for my sick and hurting child, He is there waiting to love and care for you. But He loves you enough not to intervene in your life until you request His presence. Will you call on Him today? You need not feel helpless any longer.