Friday, October 2, 2009

The weather forecast

My wife and I had the TV. on the other night looking for the weather forecast for the following day. While waiting for the chipper weather guy to deliver the bad news, the following stories were delivered:
This week in Chicago, a kid literally got beat to death with 2x4's, and it was caught on video.

John Evander Couey died this week. He was the guy that kidnapped a 9 year old little girl and buried her in a garbage bag.

A tsunami went through the South Pacific this week and 112 people are dead so far.

Genocide in Darfur is continuing and the death toll is estimated at over 300,000 human lives.

Looking back, I just remember thinking to myself, "That's horrible……..what's the weather for tomorrow?" I mean, have I become so numb to tragedy and disaster that horrifying events like the ones mentioned above don't even make me pause and pray for the victims? I know people who don't even watch the news. They tell me that there is too much bad news and they just can't take it anymore. I usually respond by saying, "How do you keep up with the events in the world?" I guess I have just always found it weird when people didn't watch the news. Now, I am just not so sure that they are the weird ones. I wonder if Jesus would watch the news looking past the horrific stories of the week, anticipating the forecast for tomorrow. I don't want my heart to be hardened to tragedy but I am afraid it has been. Instead of getting to the point where my heart breaks for the things that make Jesus' heart break, I just choose to gloss over them and make the excuse that I can't help everyone. How different would this world be to live in if we all chose to love one another as much as we love ourselves? We may not be able to help EVERYONE, but we can't let that be an excuse not to help ANYONE. Who have you sacrificed for today? Who have you listened to someone who needed a shoulder to cry on? Have you reached out to someone who is lost? Wouldn't this be a better place if we all chose to do that?
What's the weather forecast for tomorrow? I could guess that it will be another gray overcast and rainy day…….but I have the ability to make it a sunny one for someone. So do you.