Friday, December 4, 2009

The Deployment


There were some people on T.V. this week who were calling for the President to bring our troops home. It sure would be nice to have all of our men and women home for Christmas wouldn’t it? The issue is this: There is a war going on right now. The Commander in Chief finds it necessary to have these men and women on the front line. You may or may not agree with the President and I will not get into politics on this site. But I think we can all agree on something……There is no draft. Those men and women that are overseas right now in harms way, volunteered. I was in the Army for 8 years. When I signed on the dotted line, it was made very clear to me that going to war would be mandatory should I be needed. After some careful thought, I signed.
This is where I am going with this. I think there are people in the church today that signed on the dotted line but want to protest the war. We want to say, “Hey I’m in the Lord’s Army” (remember that song?), but we refuse to go to war. We won’t get our uniform dirty by lying in the muddy trenches, and we certainly don’t want to be inconvenienced by having to make our way up to the frontline. Let me explain a little here. There is a war going on out there for lost souls, and all too often, Christians are refusing to engage the lost, and in turn, losing battles left and right.
We love to fill our days of the week with church people and churchy stuff, making absolutely sure that we don’t have time left in our schedule for the real work. And we can clog our weeks fairly well can’t we? Church on Sunday and then we have our church friends over for a late lunch or early dinner. Monday maybe a small group gathering, Tuesday prayer meetings, Wednesday…..I am not saying these things in and of themselves are a bad thing, but when was the last time you invited a neighbor to your after church cookout or bonfire? When was the last time you asked your neighbor, the atheist, to church? When was the last time you asked that family member, the one who has been turned off to Jesus and the church because of something that happened 20 years ago, to come to your small group? It is time we get into the thick of the fight and start engaging in this battle. If Hell is real, and I believe it is, how can we allow anyone to slip by us without at least inviting them to church? Its worth getting a little mud on our uniform don’t you think?
Next week is guest blog week. Since this issue was on my mind, I have asked several of my friends to write something that I will post. When I was thinking about this topic today, I thought…It will be cool to have some of my atheist friends and agnostic friends write something as well. So there will be a day or two next week where you might find something of interest. If you are a Christian and read this blog, sweet (I think there are about 3 of you). But the real reason I write this stupid blog almost every week, is for my friends that read this, that are not Christians. I care about them. I believe in Hell, and I don’t want them to end up there. I guess I am just trying to not go AWOL on my Commander in Chief’s call for deployment.