Monday, December 7, 2009

Guest blog week (Teri Cox)




This post is from a very good friend of mine. She is an agnostic for lack of a better term, and I have learned a great deal from her through conversations we have had about Jesus and religion. She is also one of the best mothers I know. Here words today remind me that it is not just enough to be in the room with my kids. Being there does not necessarily mean I am present. Are you spending quality time with your children, or are you playing monopoly, strategically positioned so that you can still watch the football game? Your children know the difference. Go ahead Teri......


When I was in my late teens I had completely convinced myself I wasn't going to have children. Things were going pretty smoothly too until I met Gary. The day I found out I was pregnant every emotion within me began to rear its ugly head. I was terrified. I was excited. I was...terrified. LOL How was I, me..of all people...going to raise a child? I wasn't exactly the best example. I was a bad girl with an even worse attitude. I was lucky though, I had Gary. He was far more ready for us to have this child than I was. I had never changed a diaper, I wasn't a babysitter, I preferred kittens over babies. Then November 27th 1995 my entire life as I knew it had changed. There he was, this big 8 lb bouncing baby boy. I fell madly in love with him. Still very much terrified I made a promise to him that I would do everything within my power to make his life wonderful.
Today he is a 14 yr old teenager who I couldn't adore more. As a mother I couldn't ask for a better kid. He is driven, strong willed, kind, gentle and loving. He's brilliant, funny, and emotional. I believe he was my gift, and also my test. Could I, the bad kid who had everything and was spoiled rotten, find the focus and drive I needed to see to it he was better than I was? I feel I have done just that. He's a leader, not a follower, he has a kind word for anyone and everyone. He believes all people are special and need to be treated as such. He feels people do deserve a second chance if they should mess up the first time around. He has goals and dreams and everyday he thrives to get one step closer to them. He's a 2nd degree black belt, working toward his level 2 instructor collar, and has show his dedication for his martial arts. He still hugs his mom and dad and isn't afraid to let his friends know how awesome we are. He appreciates us, he loves us, and he respects us.

Take the time to get to know your kids. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you learn.