Friday, December 11, 2009

Guest Blog Week (Chris Voelker)




This post is from a friend of mine in Chicago. He is an Atheist. I was thinking about it last night and I really can't think of a single domain that we agree on. We hold different political views, different spiritual views, economical views, etc….It's amazing that he and I are even friends. This post is fairly lengthy, but I do hope you take the time to read it in full because he makes some interesting points. I also have some comments to follow.

Here's Chris….

It is my favorite time of the year again. Christmas time. I love the Christmas season, the lights, the songs, the cookies, the joy of buying the presents. This season is simply the best time of the year. For me it just can't be rivaled, it makes me happy, those around me can see it on my face, in my walk, in all that I do. I love Christmas.
However Christmas can also be a difficult time for me internally, within my own mind and heart. For I have often asked myself, can an atheist celebrate Christmas without being a hypocrite? One of the human characteristics I have always found most repulsive is hypocrisy. How can someone say one thing, even at times preach it, and be found to do the complete opposite? Now of course I don't mean the parent that tells a child to wear a seatbelt or to not drink a beer while doing it himself because that's our job as parents, to protect our kids until they are able to make those decisions, some things just must be done and that's just fact. But I mean the full on hypocrisy we see in our daily lives, that is controllable and just shouldn't occur. Such as a Jesse Jackson chastising Bill Clinton for his infidelities both in public and private, and then it is discovered Reverend Jackson has his own child as the result of an affair, or the same man chastising a comic for using a certain offensive word, even demanding EVERYONE cease from using that word immediately and calling for a complete boycott of any media outlet who used the word. Yet later the same man, and not an ordinary man but someone who himself desires, and almost demands that we look up to him as a leader, uses the word in reference to a potential and eventual President of the United States of America. Now I understand all men are human and make mistakes, it's unavoidable.
I know I have erred many many times myself. But the true hypocrisy is in that he refused to apologize, refused to admit he even did wrong, and can continue to refuse to forgive other men who have erred while it is completely obvious that he himself is not perfect. Or the hypocrisy of a Catholic Church pretending to be saviors of our children, and at the same time sending known child molesters on to lead other churches to hide them from investigations of their dalliances at their last church, in the name of religion. Dare I mention the environment summit where world leaders meet to discuss ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, while never mentioning the summit itself creates more emissions than are produced annually from 60 smaller nations on this planet? From these extreme cases down to the person who chastises a person about swearing only to drop the F-Bomb in conversation himself are all examples I try very hard to avoid in my own life, lest I end up being the very person I claim to dislike.
So what about me? Yes I am an atheist. Although not one of those in your face, can't stand the slightest mention of religion, complaining about the pledge of allegiance in schools or the 10 commandments in a courthouse, atheists. My philosophy is we can all have differing opinions and that's a good thing. I want you to say Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Ramadan, or whatever makes you happy, to me, I will take no offense to that. While I am confident in my belief that no higher power created all that we see around us I am willing to admit I could be wrong. My thoughts are based on thorough personal analysis of the recorded evidence, testimony, and scientific theory available to me, but I can admit and freely will, that the only way to be sure of any religion’s truth will only show itself at the end. Too late for me if I am wrong, but I shall live with that decision. For me the alternatives are just to great against it. I even on the rare occasion go to a church with my family because that makes them happy. Because both my wife and my middle son do believe in Christ, and I think that's a good thing. Both of them need the external guidance, structure and hope that religion provides them. It just so happens my oldest son and I are ok with the internal compass we have to guide us in our daily lives and personally can't accept or begin to believe in things we can't add up on our own. We choose to believe in only what we can see and add up ourselves, and we have seen the evidence that at its core can't support the case for religion to the rational mind. We are strong enough in ourselves to accept the fact that the end just might be the end. No pearly gates and beautiful clouds, no 72 virgins, no redo's in another form on this planet till we get it right or whichever version a person wants to hope for. Maybe there is just the end. And that's ok, We'll say I did all we could do with our time. Blind faith just doesn't work for us.
But I think I have digressed too much. You now know my view on Christ and the dreaded hypocrisy I fear I may succumb to. Now Christmas is after all, the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. So should someone who does not believe Jesus was the son of God celebrate his birthday? Probably not in the strictest sense. But, as I look all around me to what Christmas in America is, I actually don't see a lot of Christ. I don't know if that is a result of political correctness gone haywire in America, a lack of religious tradition in general or something else entirely. Of all of the things that make me so happy about Christmas what is actually related to Jesus Christ and his birth?
There was no fat guy in a red suit with a big white beard in that manager, that I am sure of. Which by the way, no man can get as fat as St. Nick has gotten without being truly gluttonous. Is not Gluttony one of the seven deadly sins? A symbol, maybe in the minds of many THE SYMBOL for the most holy of holidays is the embodiment of one of the seven deadly sins? That just feels wrong.
As for Rudolph and the other reindeer, the same, I doubt they would survive in the desert, not related to Christ.
LED lights strung up in a dazzling array of reds, blues, greens, and yellows chasing each other to a beat? Nope.
The first record of a candy cane in a Christmas celebration was 1847, so put that one down as a no.
The North pole where the big guy lives is about as far as you can get from the sand of Jerusalem and the birthplace of Christ. Got to mark that down as no.
One of my favorite parts of the holiday is to go out and cut down a tree, the biggest tree I can possibly afford and fit into my home. It is a big production every year and I insist the whole family goes together to select our tree in the woods, cut it down and drag it back. Well I suppose it is possible there were evergreen trees in Jerusalem. Although the earliest know reference to a decorated tree at Christmas time was in 1570. A millennium and a half after Christ was born. So I'll put that in the no column, but give partial credit for the angel or star on top. By the way I insist on the star for my tree, it just feels less religious than an angel and equally appealing.
Presents, they may be the largest component of Christmas for most people. I know for most kids they are. It is the thing they look forward to all year. They spend hours compiling their list to send to the north pole. Parents spend countless hours scanning those lists, standing in line for this years equivalent to Elmo, or the cabbage patch doll. I know in my house hours upon hours are consumed wrapping the treasures in bright, shiny, glittery wrapping paper complete with bows and ribbons and large festive tags. This one I am happy to put down as a yes. The three wise men did bring gifts to Mary and Jesus according to the writings of Matthew.
When I take into account all that Christmas has become I can't really say it does have much to do with Christianity any more, other than the name they both share. I personally see it as a celebration of family. A time to spend with my kids, my spouse, my family and the rest of those I love. Its a time to take pause and be thankful for all we have. A time to put aside work and our other daily obligations, even if just for a short while. Its the joy of the morning when I can watch my kids tear open the brightly colored presents and watch their eyes light up and a smile widen on their face when they find exactly what they wanted. I know then, that I have done good. Maybe throughout the year in our daily lives we don't find enough time to do the good things, not just for our immediate families, but for our coworkers, distant relatives, our brothers in the military and even strangers, those less fortunate than we are. To try and bring a smile and a little joy into the lives of others whether through a donated present, a dollar in the kettle or just a greeting and a wave.
This year I am going to make the most out of every little bit of the season, savor every last drop of the joy. Maybe even attend a service, just for an extra smile it will bring from those I love, even if I fear it will get a frown from my firstborn child. To me Christmas isn't just one day but more a name to put on a season, an event that lasts a whole month that culminates on December 25th. It's really a feeling that comes from within that is projected outward as good will and joy to all.
My Conclusion: No I'm not a hypocrite.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks Chris.
You might be asking yourself, why give an Atheist an opportunity to talk about Christmas from their vantage point? The reason is because it is important for us to listen. Some times as Christians, we talk too much. We can still learn from those who have differing views. I happen to agree with Chris on a couple of points that he made. There is hypocrisy in the church. The deal with hypocrisy in the church however is this…..there will always be hypocrisy in the church. We follow Jesus, who never sinned. We try our hardest to be as much like Jesus as possible, but when it is all said and done, we can't come close to perfection. I also agree with him that I don't see a lot of Christ in the Christmas holiday these days. I heard an add for Wal-Mart on TV last night. It said Christmas costs less at Wal-Mart. Christmas costs. We have lost the true meaning I'm afraid. And finally, I agree with Chris on this….He said that there is only one way to be sure if Atheism or Christianity is right or not will be in the end ……"too late for me if I am wrong". It is going to be too late at that point. I will not get into my reasoning for belief in Jesus or the evidence I see (inside and outside of the Bible) for Jesus' birth, life, death, and resurrection…Chris and I have had those conversations until we are blue in the face. But what I will say is that before Jesus left the planet, He said this to His disciples, "A new command I give you…that you love one another". That is why I had Chris post his thoughts. I am to love him just like I love my Christian brothers and sisters. And I do.
Merry Christmas Chris.