Thursday, April 1, 2010

White knuckle Christians


"Rudy" has to be one of the best sports movies of all time. Even if you don't enjoy sports, you can't help but love a true story about someone overcoming huge obstacles to realize a dream. One of the most memorable scenes for me is when one of the football players pulls Rudy close to him to give him some useful advice. He tells Rudy that you can tell if a lineman is planning on charging in hard by looking at their hand that's planted on the ground. He says that if the lineman's fingers are flesh tone, then he is relaxed and not planning on blitzing, however if the knuckles on the hand have turned white, there is pressure on the hand and then you know he will be charging hard.

I think many churches are failing to reach the seekers and skeptics in their respective communities because we are in short supply of the white knuckle Christian.

That's why I love Isaiah.

Isaiah 6:8 says, "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me"

I love how he didn't say, "well let me think and pray about it" or "what's the game plan?"
Isaiah had some serious white knuckles. He was a man of action. "Send me!"
As soon as Isaiah says he will go, God gives him instructions.
So many times we as Christians want to pray about stuff, which is a good thing...we should pray constantly. The problem arises when we use prayer as a substitute for action on our part.
We pray that God will do something, or we pray that God will send someone else to do something, but when was the last time you said, "Here am I! Send me".

Give me a white knuckler over a flesh toner in my foxhole anytime.
That's who I try to surround myself with.....white knucklers. That is who I strive to be.
Send Me.

D.L. Moody was once quoted as saying: "The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through the man who is fully and wholly devoted to Him."

What color are your knuckles?